CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Vintage Limo Monologues #11: Environmental Awareness

Although the limo uses more gas than my old car, I am finding that I actually use less gas than I used to. Ironically, owning a less efficient car has made me more environmentally aware. My last car was somewhat fuel efficient so I didn't think about gas that much. I put it in the car, drove where I wanted to and didn't do much towards conserving fuel. The lazy part of me figured since I didn't commute to work and back every day I was already doing my part.

However, now that I have a car that gets only 15 mpg I often ponder...is it really worth going across town to shop? Why don't we just walk instead of driving to the store? I don't really need to go to the grocery store more than once a week...sometimes the car will sit in the driveway for days!

My awareness of how much I actually used to drive and how much fuel I was using has become more pronounced. I have learned that I don't need to drive to as many places, and that I don't really need to drive much at all! I wonder how many other people are going through this same process as gas prices rise? Are more people taking the bus to save money? Are people taking fewer trips and working from home more? If this is the result of rising gas prices then perhaps it has all been "worth it" in some ways. At least once person (me) on this planet has greatly reduced their driving time and that is great for the environment. How many others have done the same?

1 comments:

SuzyQSparkles said...

I just made an offer on a house 15 miles closer to my hubby's primary workplace. Also, closer to my boys ice skating. We wanted to live in the quieter, Mayberry-esque town. But gas did us in! It would be $80 a month for me to drive over three times a week... I'd probably go more for Ice Skating, or have to stop the boys from doing something they love. So, we've chosen to live closer.

I was always good about planning routes when I went out and consolidating trips, but I do drive less these days as the price has gone up, up, up!

:D